Books that is. What books are you reading/recently read that you really enjoyed?
Here’s my list:
1. Robert Lacey’s Inside the Kingdom. A book about the royal Saudi family and the world of Saudi Arabia. Nicely done! Discusses the US/Saudi relationship, Bin Laden, the plight of women.
2. Robert Lacey’s The Year 1000. Since I liked #1 I got out this book published in 2000. Tells of what we know about life in England or Engla lond in the year 1000.
3. Janet Soskice’s Sisters in Sinai. What a great book about Scottish twins who brought to light one of the oldest Palimpsests of the Gospels. Well written and takes you right to the mid to late 1800s and how these women succeeded in a world ready to ignore them. You will not be able to put it down! Nice to see these women getting their due.
4. Mike Emlet’s CrossTalk. A great book about using the bible in personal ministry so as to connect the text to people’s lives and vice versa.
5. William Struthers’ Wired for Intimacy. Haven’t finished this one but it is about how porn impacts male brains. Written by a Wheaton College prof (not one that I have met).
6. Finally, G Campell Morgan’s The Gospel of John. Gift for my birthday. It is not dry a boring as you might expect a commentary to be. Very devotional.
7 responses to “What’s on your nightstand?”
Just finished HEAR NO EVIL by MATTHEW PAUL TURNER and I’m about to start SO LONG, INSECURITY by Beth Moore. I’m also reading CAPTIVATING for a Bible Study I’m leading and, of course, The Bible. (Along with THE INNER VOICE OF LOVE by Henri Nouwen.)
With all the good books available, why would you pick “Captivating” for a Bible study?
Mike Emlet wrote a book? I need to check that out–he was my other fave professor. 🙂
I think John might like #2 & 3….can you tell me which version of #2….there are two.
Penny, I have the one from Abington Library. He can request it online if you guys go there. ISBN is 0316643750
This is what is literally on my night stand…Can Love Last? The Fate of Romance Over Time by Stephen Mitchell…The Gift of Nothing (children’s book)by Patrick McDonnell…Paul’s Idea of Community by Robert Banks. Of course since I am a student there are quite a number of other books I am also currently reading :o)
I had this great stack of books I was reading like Mosaic of Thought (Keene), Counterfeit Gods (Keller), Crazy Love (Chan), but I’ve set them all aside to plow through a pile of books on girls like “The curse of the Good Girl” and “Queen Bees and Wannabees” and even “The Search for Significance” since I have three daughters in varying stages of crisis due to girl-drama overload!