No classes today because of the holiday. Next week, we’ll be discussing the perils and pitfalls of being a counselor. In partial jest here’s my “top 10” counselor nightmares. A few of these happened to me, some happened to my friends and others are just fears:
10. Someone from your past shows up as a counselee or at a seminar you give and they know all your immaturities
9. You run into a counselee from a couple of years ago and although they are grateful for your help, you don’t remember ever meeting them before
8. Spending the whole hour with a new client and your fly was down and open the whole time
7. Same as 8 but you passed gas
6. Its time to pray at the end of the session and as you go to pray for them you can’t remember their name and so you have to pray for your “brother” instead.
5. You worked really hard helping a resistant client learn something and then they come in and tell you that their aunt told them this amazing thing (the thing you have been trying to tell them for 6 months) and now they wonder why you didn’t help them.
4. You come to the waiting room only to find you double booked by mistake.
3. You’re at the hospital having a colonoscopy and you find out the nurse assisting is your client who probably hates you
2. You fall asleep in session for a few minutes and wake up wondering how long it has been and whether they noticed or not (they did!)
1. Subpoena and/or call from the licensing board
3 responses to “Top 10 Counselor Nightmares”
nice. 7&8 made me laugh.
didn’t realize you had such a great sense of humor ! lightened my day for sure 🙂
Hah! Thank you for things to add to my list of worries 🙂