Listened this am to NPR’s Morning edition and a story on “hooking up.” Definitely worth your listening for the 8 minute story. Here’s a couple of amazing thoughts (not quotes) from female interviewees:
1. The hook-up is all about the tension, build-up, and the sex.
2. Dating actually costs too much money; hook-ups are much cheaper
3. Talking about being in love is more embarrassing than talking about one’s sex life (hooking up) on the radio.
4. Dating a guy means bringing him into your circle of close friends and the preference is to have the hook-up but do nothing that could harm real friendships
5. It is vulnerable to be needy of love. Not so of sex.
Scary stuff here. Think about it. Taking your clothes off and sharing genital sexual activity with an acquaintance puts you in a less vulnerable position than asking someone out for a formal date? Can someone explain that one to me?