For some insane reason, we have decided to remove our rugs and refinish the original pine flooring. This means pulling up the wall-to-wall that has been in the house since before we moved in. True, the carpeting needs to go. It is tired and worn with stains throughout. So, as I pull up the carpet, I find:
- someone thought nailing plywood and green vinyl squares on top of the flooring in the dining room would be a good idea
- an installed electrical plug…in the floor
- buckled pieces of flooring
- A hole filled in with junk wood and plaster of paris
- a beat up floor showing its 100 years of age
So, while love covers a multitude of sins…so does carpet. The floor guy is sure our floors will look great when he has finished sanding and staining but he has a whole lot more hope than I. I’ve half a mind to just order a new carpet and hide the various sins of the previous owners.
Much like the rug, the outer veneer we share with others covers up much of our warts. We present well in public. But there are times when the outer covering needs replacement…or when health removes that veneer. What will others find when we can no longer cover up those flaws? Lord help us!