Here’s a link to a blog post on sniffing out ego driven leaders (teachers, pastors, future employees, etc.) you might find helpful. Cavman, a thoughtful pastor, lists a set of characteristics about ego driven individuals that he gleaned from a book by Roger Parrott. He, Cavman, writes,
He [Parrott] offers some of the signs that a person is probably driven by ego (getting attention) rather than ambition (advances in the kingdom).
- Live Flamboyantly– drawn to lavishness in things and people.
- Inflate Vision– consistently over-promise and under-deliver.
- Act Invincible- winning is more important than what is prudent and wise.
- Ignore Critics– discredit or ignore those with different ideas, or who offer constructive criticism.
- Crave Adrenaline– gain energy in flagrant risk.
- Exaggerate Actions– exhaust rather than equip their staff.
- Become Sensitive– very thin-skinned, they either attack or isolate.
- Attract Groupies– people who will not/cannot challenge them. They feed their attention addiction.
- Demand Appreciation– like a drug addict.
- Require Empathy– without offering empathy.
- Listen Poorly– they don’t want instruction, correction or good ideas.
- Enjoy Competition– gaining attention by prevailing over others.
- Control Obsessively– uncomfortable when they are not in control.
- Ignore Boundaries– they assume they are better than others, and not subject to the same rules.