Having spent most of yesterday trying to complete an on-line application to become an authorized, in-network provider for an insurance company, I’m fighting to remember why I started down this path.
Yes, I absolutely know it benefits clients in that they do not have to pay my entire fee out of pocket and only hope to get some money back later (if they have an out-of-network benefit). They merely have to pay a co-pay and so counseling is an affordable option.
But, being a selfish individual I’m thinking mostly about my own interests at this moment. Let me count the ways this process irritates me:
1. Collecting all my old information (addresses for pre and post docs and all education back to undergrad). Don’t they know that happened eons ago?
2. Repetitive entries. I think I entered my fax number at least 20 times.
3. Tax ids, SS ids, NPIs, etc. Numbers to find and enter correctly. I’m ready for the iris scan and probe now. My underwear size is…
4. And the real irritation is…(the previous ones really aren’t the issue as the on-line application wasn’t so bad–just time consuming)…I know that if I’m approved I get the following welcome gifts
- Reduced income per hour
- Delayed income (improperly rejected claims, delayed claims, claims sent to the wrong address, etc.)
- More paperwork to fill out to beg for sessions
Whine, whine, whine. It’s all about me. So much for caring for my clients’ best interests…
Okay. I’m better now. This is a good thing and one bonus is the company collecting the information will bank it so that I can use it in the future for other insurance companies should I so choose.